10.18.2012

Korea part 2 : by jean

Jetlag.  It's the worst thing ever.  Why can't everyone just live in the same time zone?  ;)  Dealing with your own jetlag is hard enough, but dealing with your own jetlag plus your baby's is a whole new level of jetlag. 

We first arrived in Korea around 5pm and got to my parents by 7pm.  (Read about our plane ride here!) That day is still a  bit of a blur.  We gave Miles a nice bath once we unpacked and settled and put him down by 10ish.  I think he woke up about every 2 hours that night.  I felt like I had a newborn all over again.  My friend Dave, a new dad, said it best: "8:13am feels like 3:13am"!  When you have a newborn, you try to sleep whenever the baby is sleeping.  When you are jetlagged, your body knows it's not really time to sleep, so you aren't able to sleep when you want to.  This results in you being in a daze for the next few days. 

By the 2nd or 3rd day, Miles had some sort of a schedule going:
- 9:30pm-1:30am sleep
- wake up, drink bottle, play for a bit
- 3:30am-6am sleep
- wake up, eat breakfast, bottle
- 9:30am-??? he seems to sleep about 6-7 hours during this time since its "night" time for him
- 7pm wake up, play, eat, drink bottle, bath...and the cycle begins again.

Now, with only 1 week left in Korea, Miles's schedule is like this:

- 5:30pm-5:30am sleep (full 12 hours!)
- wake up, drink bottle, play for a bit
- 7am-8:30/9am nap
- wake up, eat breakfast, bottle
- 2nd nap anytime around noon-2.

I've heard that some parents wake up the kids a bit earlier to help them adjust to the local time.  I have been too much of a chicken to do that yet since I didn't want him to be more fussy than he needed to be especially since Miles had a bit of diarrhea the first couple of days from the change in water.   He woke up at least every 1-2 hours because of his upset stomach and diarrhea.  The diarrhea resulted in bad diaper rash which resulted in me having to hose him down after each poop diaper instead of using wipes to help alleviate his rash.  Note to all parents: ALWAYS TAKE TRIPLE PASTE WITH YOU!  Thank God I brought it with me because it works wonders!  Also with the water change, I initially thought boiling regular water would be the same as giving bottled water so we were making his formula with boiled tap water.  But once he had his diarrhea, a nurse friend of my mom's suggested boiling bottled water to be extra cautious.  So far, that's has been working. 

By the 5th, 6th day, Miles adjusted well to the local time.  Its also been great having him sleep full 12 hour stretches so we can go out and explore Korea a bit when he goes down for the night.  Back at home, he normally slept from 7:30/8pm~6:30/7am so he's doing great getting a full 12 hours of sleep every night.  I just worry what his schedule will be like once we are back in NY.  For now, I have seen the sun rise EVERY morning.  Hopefully, I don't have to do that once we are back!

view of thde daily sunrise from my parents' veranda

hanging out at the playground

No comments:

Post a Comment