9.24.2012

baby fashion : by amy

Is it just me, or do the clothes that kids wear seem to reflect some type of judgment on the mom more so than the dad?  I used to wonder why some moms would splurge on pricey children's clothes when they would only outgrow it in just a few months (sometimes weeks!).  What's the big deal?  They spit up on it, poop through it or smear their lunch on it, and yet some moms are dishing out big bucks for designer clothes like Joe's Jeans, Burberry and Ralph Lauren.  I just didn't understand.

Then, I had my own child and I suddenly kind of understood where those moms were coming from.  For some bizarre (perhaps shallow and self-centered) reason, I felt that my child's presentation somehow reflected me-- the mom-- not the dad.  Do other moms feel that way?  The only time I think the dad might have something to do with the kid's wardrobe is if the outfit is completely mismatched, but other than that, I correlate a child's presentation (dress, cleanliness) with the mother.  Consequently, I make an effort to dress Logan well and make him look presentable (though, we all have our off days).  Don't get me wrong-- I'm not splurging on designer labels for Logan, but I will look for high quality, super-soft cotton that will hold up to a lot of wash and wear.  Yes, I want him to match.  Yes, I want it to be cute and fashionable, and yes, I will pay up for it (and yes, I am sharing them all with Miles!  Jean: She sure is!!! Miles is soo lucky).

When Logan was a newborn, he used to do poopie-up-the-back on a daily basis, so I typically put him in cheap, plain-jane, white onesies.  As he got a little older, he still had sensitive skin (eczema) so I looked for super-soft or organic cottons.  Thanks to discounted brand-label sites such as Gilt, Zulily and The Mini Social, there are lots of baby boutique brands to choose from offering high quality baby clothes at (slightly) more reasonable prices.  I actually find myself losing interest in shopping for my own wardrobe and would rather spend the money on my son's!  That sounds silly, doesn't it?  I guess this is what happens when you become a mom.

Here are some of my fave stores/labels:

Mini Boden: Beautiful, high-quality pieces; super-duper soft cotton.  I love how their designs are so playful.  I especially love their reversible boys' pants- so comfortable and you get 2 designs in 1!

Mini Boden

Ever After: They have lots of basics in my favorite "guy" colors-- greys, blues, greens and violet (and their girl clothes is just as awesome!) and the softest, tissue-thin, pima-cotton shirts (especially good if you have a sweaty kid like Logan).  Also love their sweat shorts, sweat shirts and cardigans.  BONUS- they donate 25% of the net proceeds they receive on your order to a charity of your choice.  Each clothing item comes with a tag and a code that you use to log-on and choose the charity.

Ever After

Tea Collection: Another great brand with high quality cottons and playful designs.

Tea Collection

Egg: Love their designs and quality!  Hate their prices!

Egg

Jacadi: If you have big bucks, don't mind dry-cleaning baby clothes, and have a baby/toddler who doesn't do poopie-up-the-back, spit-up or get dirty when they eat/play, then this might be a viable option for you.  Otherwise, it is just baby-clothes-eye-candy. :)  This is clothes you get as gifts and not buy on your own-- their stuff is just way too impractical (who wants regular buttons on the BACK of onesies??) but probably the most beautiful baby clothes you will ever find.  In fact, we have one piece hanging on the wall as decoration in the nursery!

Jacadi

Baby Gap: Always a solid place for baby basics and stylish outfits.  Their shirts and onesies are soft and hold up well to rigorous play and repeated wash.  Never worth getting anything at full price since pretty much everything goes on sale.  I especially love their pajama collection.

Gap
Old Navy: Best option if you need play clothes-- very cheap.  When they have sales, it's ridonculous.  $5 bodysuits?  $7 performance fleeces?  Can't beat it.

Old Navy

Janie and Jack: A very classy-prep-themed line using high quality fabrics.  They have beautiful special occasion/formal-wear.

Janie and Jack

Zara: They have way more options for girls than boys (typical) but love their Euro-fashion-forward looks.

Zara
Stride Rite: Turns out, Logan has extra wide feet and Stride Rite makes wide sizes for babies!  I'm also told their walking shoes are top-notch for tots starting to get on their feet.  They've been making children's shoes since 1919.  Their other brands include Robeez, Saucony, Keds and Sperry Top-Sider.  When it comes to baby's feet, it's worth investing in quality shoes to avoid future foot/walking problems.
Stride Rite

Uniqlo: They just recently started an infant line-- I haven't purchased anything yet but so far, I'm liking what I'm seeing.  Liking their prices and clean designs, but wondering how well it will hold up to multiple washes.

Uniqlo

Uniqlo

If I were to have a girl, I think my bank account would truly suffer since there are TOO many cute and precious options.  Do you enjoy shopping for your children's wardrobe? 

1 comment:

  1. Lol, Amy. I hear you and my wallet feels your wallet's pain. You're looking (blogging) at a girl who's 2-yr-old daughter is strutting around in shoes that cost more than her mom's...

    ReplyDelete