9.13.2013

Babies and social media: by jean

I came across this article last week, "Media Elite Making Twitter Accounts for Children."

I'm not gonna lie. I thought it was rather ridiculous-- people tweeting on behalf of their kids.  Sure it can be funny and cute here and there...but come on!

But then I started realizing maybe it wasn't too crazy after all.  Soon after Miles was born, we heard people say they made gmail accounts for their babies so that they can get the name they wanted for their account.  At first I thought, "why would we do that?" but then I realized there could there be more Miles Lees in this world taking over his email address.  So, Miles now has his own gmail account.  (Remember the days when gmail was so new you had to be invited to make an account?!)

I still think tweeting on behalf of your own child is a bit much, but perhaps making an email account or a facebook page isn't too crazy.  I've seen friends who made FB accounts for their babies so that only friends and family will get updates and pictures in their newsfeeds.  I've also had moms tell me that they started writing to their kids' email addresses-- letters to them about what they are going through so they can read them when they get older.

Google had the same thought and made a commercial.

Made you tear, right?  Or was that only me? :p

Have you made an email address for your kids?  Or are you already tweeting on behalf of them?

1 comment:

  1. No twittering here but t does have a gmail acct. I also fwd pictures to her account so she/we can have a timeline of pics to look through when she gets older. esp with so many ways to take pics now a days, hoping this will help capture and retain some pics.

    ReplyDelete