5.22.2015

itchy, itchy eczema! (part II) : by jean

I'm back!  Well, sort of.  I've been meaning to post and have all these things I want to write so I can remember for later, but there's NO time!

As Amy mentioned in her previous post, I too had another baby. (CRAZY!) Her name is Jordan, and she has had some mild eczema from about 3-4 months old.  It started to get a little bit worse so I had asked my doc for a prescription ointment.  Every time we went in for Jordan's check-up, her eczema was getting better so our doc told us to stick to OTC stuff.  I ended up trying out a bunch of different products, so I figured I would share!  But keep in mind, when it gets really bad, I think prescription hydrocortisone is really the best way to go.  Amy also mentions that here.

In the end, I finally called my doc for a prescription, and she finally ended up giving me one, but before she did, I was desperate and took some of my friend's kid's prescription. (shhhh!)

2 products to live by when you have eczema: Cerave Cream & Aquaphor.  (FYI Cerave is $12.50 at Costco- much cheaper than at your normal drugstore). This is more of a repeat to Amy's previous post but I can't emphasize how great this combo is.

Cerave & Aquaphor

Coconut Oil is one of the new products we've been trying. Too many people have raved and raved about it so I had to try.  I got a jar from Trader Joe's.  They also sell a huge jar at Costco for $15.  Make sure to get organic, unrefined/raw.
Trader Joe's Organic Coconut oil

I normally use Cerave, everyday as my face cream.  After I got coconut oil, I've been using that as my night cream.  At first, I have to admit it was a bit weird to smear it all over my face and smelling a bit like a pina colada.  But it makes my skin SOO soft. I've been using it also to remove makeup (the two times I've worn makeup), and using it on my cracked heels and cuticles.  These days Jordan does this itch dance as soon as I take her out of the bath so I slather coconut oil all over her since it starts absorbing right away and then put a layer of Cerave and then Aquaphor on bad patches.

I also came across Vanicream
Vanicream

Vaniply Ointment
and Vaniply Ointment ...didn't seem too much different from the usual Cerave & Aquaphor.  Vanicream def feels a little bit more greasy after you apply, I'm wondering because it doesn't absorb as quickly?  Vaniply Ointment seems like a good in-between if Aquaphor and Vaseline had a baby.  Its not as thick as Aquaphor but thicker than Vaseline. Because the thickness is in between, its very easy to apply.  The National Eczema Organization link is a great resource for anything eczema-related, especially for products.

My doc also suggested Sarna, which is a steroid free anti-itch lotion. To be honest, I don't think it works that well...Jordan still does the itch dance and scratches herself even after I apply. I don't know if it takes some times to settle in?  I've been using it sparingly here and there, just to test it out. Only if she can just tell me if it works or not...!
Sarna

I also read somewhere about Curel's Itch Defense lotion.
Curel's Itch Defense lotion
It says it is pediatrician-tested and good for babies 6 months and up...gentle enough to use on face, so I got it.  Again, similar to Sarna, not sure how well it's working but I do think sometimes it's nice to switch up products once in a while.  I still religiously use Cerave and Aquaphor but in between, I try out these other ones on areas like Jordan's legs where she doesn't show much eczema but still scratches.

And last, but not least...A&D!
A&D


I've only heard of using A&D for cuts and diaper rashes but when Jordan's eczema started to ooze, Amy recommending trying A&D.  Aquaphor is also great but I found A&D better for areas where her skin started to break and was oozing.

What are some other products you have used?  There's so much out there, would love to hear all about them!

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your website....noticed that your child is dealing with eczema.
    Please checkout itsan.org to educate yourself about the risk of topical steroid addiction & steroid induced eczema. [Note: only some people become addicted to the steroids.]

    I thought I will share since we are dealing with this nightmare.

    ReplyDelete